Sometimes a tree is just a tree.
Questions from The Stories In Between:
1. What hobby would you get in to if time and money weren’t an issue?
In addition to reading and writing, I’ve always been interested in streaming or video-based content. I would love to start some sort of twitch stream or youtube channel.
2. What is the most annoying question that people ask you?
No questions at all. People tend to operate on pre-conceived bias when they interact with me. The most annoying thing they do is not ask me questions and instead assume they already know all they need to know about me.
3. What’s something you’ve been meaning to try but just haven’t gotten around to it?
Every book I’ve never read.
4. Do you have a dream job? What would it be?
In my non-blogging career, I’m a tech analyst for a data and support center. It’s practically my dream job already. It offers me so many opportunities for growth. My only complaint is that I don’t get to work hands on with people often enough.
5. If you could make one rule that everyone had to follow, what rule would you make?
Do no harm to yourself or other lifeforms. Otherwise, anything goes.
6. If you could make a 20 second phone call to yourself at any point in your life present or future, when would you call and what would you say?
I would call my 13 year old self and tell her that she can transition back then without fear of losing her family. I’d tell her to have courage and do it then and there. I’d tell her she’s going to waste her life being afraid of losing people who are going to accept her when she finally tells them.
7. What do you do to deal with stress?
Internet trolling :^)
8. Do you have any pets? What are their names?
Two cats! Matilda and Malora:
9. What is something that is really popular/cool right now that really annoys you?
Having an opinion on everything and never being willing to say, “I don’t have a well-informed opinion on this topic.”
10. Do you have a favorite book/story from your childhood?
Many! If I must give the title to a single book/story, I would give it to Charlotte’s Web.
7 interesting Facts about Myself
- I was an English Literature major who now somehow works in a high level IT position.
- I’ve been writing creatively since I learned how to write. Writing has always been a very important form of self-expression for me. I wrote my first stories and poetry when I was 7.
- I’m a transgender woman who grew up and transitioned in Mike Pence’s hometown. It’s every bit as traditional, Christian, and Conservative as you might imagine. It was terrifying in the beginning, but the presence of myself and others transformed that community. Today, most churches there embrace LGBT people as brothers and sisters.
- I’ve been involved in activism for women, children, and LGBT rights for most of my life, though in recent years my career has taken precedent and my efforts on these fronts have become confined to the internet.
- I take the Daryl Davis approach to engagement with those who hate and/or fear me. I regularly engage with transphobes, TERFs, the alt-right and far right, gender atheists, religious traditionalists, and sex essentialists. I keep the focus of the conversation on their concerns and ways I can help them overcome and the fears at the heart of them.
- In addition to writing, I’m also an avid reader, knitter, and gamer.
- I’m a bit of an arborist if that weren’t obvious by my plethora of tree memes.